Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Day #9 - A good run...

...is one that's done!

The last 24hrs were a little bit crazier than I expected them to be. There was one claim that we really wanted to be able to make in our ICFP paper (for those in the know: essentially that a really, really simple type system was all that you needed for doing anything with q-lenses; in particular, that we'd used to it check the 1000s of lines of Boomerang code we have.) I'd ported a bunch of code and thought I was done, but then discovered a bug in the Makefiles of all things, that was hiding two errors. I was still confident that we could get things to work with our type system, but I was running on fumes and I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get it done by the time the paper was due (and so, was afraid we'd have to weaken the claim.) Happily, I was able to get it done and check really truly all of our examples, but it was a slog to the finish. It's one of those things that's kind of silly--probably nobody who ever really reads the paper will take much notice--but as a scholar, it was really important to get right.

Whew! That's more computer science than this blog has ever seen, I think. OK, what about running? As yesterday's post indicated, I wasn't able to do my full workout yesterday. Today I came home around 2.30, ate a crapload of food and promptly fell asleep until 7.30. Got up at 8 and ran a Strawberry Mansion (really a St Joe's boathouse, which is at the 2 1/4 mile marker, about 1/8 of a mile short of the bridge) out and back on Kelly Dr. I think this is just under 9 miles, so I'm actually only 2 and whatever miles "in the hole" for the week.

No comments: