Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Penn Loop


Philly is so flat, and NYC is not, so I've been trying to work more hills into my "normal" runs. Today I did a South St Bridge (small hill) / 34th (long, but not steep hill) / Lansdowne (medium hill) / Black St (short, steep downhill) / MLK (flat) / River Trail (flat) loop. I haven't measured this, but I suspect it's around 8 miles?

I've lost my beloved green Timex, so I am stuck with my ugly Polar HRM for now. I didn't time the whole loop (it was something a little longer than an hour) but decided to do the last measured mile on MLK at what felt like 5k effort... it came out to 6:40. Boo. I suppose it's not too bad on the heels of a 16 miler yesterday and 6 hilly miles into this workout... and after having a guy to chase in the first quarter, I kind of lost focus in the second quarter... and I haven't been doing much speedwork... so many excuses... but I was hoping it'd be around 6:30. Oh well, a high water mark at least.

Another double planned for tomorrow: going to try for Columbia bridge in the morning (or maybe just US Grant if I'm achy), then a ride with S after lunch. My legs will have about 30 miles on them in 48 hours. I hope she doesn't say let's do Ambler.



Update: OK. I mapped it and it's a lot closer to 7 than 8. That's fine, but I'm very confused about the time. I was estimating based on having left at ten to seven, but it must have been a bit later: I ran that one mile at 6.40 pace and there's no way it took me more than 50 minutes to run the other 6 and whatever miles. I wasn't jogging.

Also, I did not run this morning. Seemed like a sure way to get my butt kicked on this ride.

No comments: