Saturday, August 16, 2008

Montgomery

As I get deeper into training, I find that my runs always start slow but I get stronger as they progress. I mean, the first 5 minutes of every run suck (and when they don't, for me, it means I haven't been able to exercise and/or am on a sugar high), but in training it sometimes takes 20-30 minutes before I feel warm. I guess it makes sense--putting your body through hell (this week I've done just under 50, plus that ride out to Conshy, and another 20 planned for tomorrow)... you're going to be a little tired.

Today was definitely like that: the first mile and a little I was huffing, and really not going fast at all. Then I got to the little rise after JFK and some bikes passed me and bang! my legs were like: OK! you're going to make us run again? might as well go! I slipped in behind the bikers and kept pace up the hill to MLK, then ran hard down to Montgomery, stopped for water, found a new gear going up to Belmont, and just felt stronger and stronger as I went across the Concourse, up to Girard, across the river to Lemon Hill, and back via that river path.

Hoping I don't pay the price for this exuberance tomorrow.

No comments: