Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

I did the first 20 miler of this training cycle today. It started a bit too fast--the first 4mi in 29 something and 8mi in just a few ticks more than an hour. Turned around after 20 minutes on Forbidden Drive. I kept waiting for my muscles to get tired but except for a few miles where I was coveting every biker's water bottle (I don't know of any water between miles 5 1/2 and 16 1/2 on this run and hate carrying) it was totally fine. I fixed the thirsty problem by stopping at the BP station at Falls Bridge to buy a water and a Gatorade, which helped a lot. The last few miles down Kelly Dr were uneventful except for this: I passed a high school kid around Strawberry Mansion. He asked who I ran for (Huh? I'm flattered, but not a runner, kid. I think I muttered something like "exercise?") Anyway, he must have been doing a long run for a XC workout or something and was maybe ticked at getting passed? He got right on my tail and stayed with me the last 3 miles back to the AM. I was feeling cheeky so decided to oblige in a tiny bit of testosterone-fueled whatever and kicked as much as I could in the last miles of a ~2h40m run. Fun times.

I normally don't plan on doing anything after a long run (besides eat meals of Phelpsian proportions) but I'd promised Darren's wife Jen I'd meet her for a spin out to Conshy. I didn't have high hopes for this ride since I'd only been able to get a smoothie and a bagel down... and was kind of hoping we'd just do an easy Manayunk loop. But she said she was up for Conshy and I hate being the "boat Nate" (old joke = killjoy, Debbie downer, etc.) I tried to follow the Gladwynne loop S likes and was doing well until I missed a turn near the school and we ended up on Conshy State Rd. It's ugly, but traffic wasn't so bad so we just took it up to the top of the ridge and back down to the river... Unfortunately we missed the really fun hills, the giant McMansions, the log cabin, and Balligomingo Rd (say what you will about the aesthetics of English words, Mr Tolkein... I think "Balligomingo Road" gives "cellar door" a run for its money; and you can't bike down a cellar door.) Too bad. Anyway, my legs, obviously didn't feel great, although they got better as the ride progressed. I don't know how triathletes do it (in the other order, I guess.)

I am beyond pooped now and am definitely giving my legs a rest tomorrow.

Oh, also: 70 miles this week!

1 comment:

orthogirl said...

you are nuts...we missed the "fun" hills?!? I was so tired on that one hill I was nearly going backwards! Thanks for the good ride though, in a few years I'll be much better.