Wednesday, August 09, 2006

It's a marathon, not a sprint.


Quite literally.

Yesterday: caught the Chinatown bus back to Philly, then came home very hungry and very tired. Stuffed my face around 4pm, slept until 6, then set out to run. I had dinner plans at 7.30, so I was already scaling it back in my head (8mi loop to Strawberry Mansion). As it turned out, my stomach was going to turn it into a short run for me: right after I turned onto W River Dr, I cramped up, big time. I tried to run through it for a few minutes, but it was just not happening. Shame because it was a beautiful day for running. Frustrated, I turned around and came home.

Today: I made sure to plan my eating better so that my stomach wasn't about to burst when I set out. I ran to the Falls Bridge by the W River Dr, then made a left and followed it another few minutes to the start of the Wissahickon trail, then all the way back down Kelly Dr, along Boathouse row, the river trail, and walked it in from Locust St RR crossing. That's a few ticks short of13mi, as the map shows but it'll do; it ain't a sprint, after all. I didn't bring my watch, but I felt like I was running fast on the back half. I passed a few other runners and got passed by one serious looking distance guy. Using the PECO clock, Locust <-> Locust was 7:33 to 8:59, which puts those miles somewhere between 7:30 and 7:40 pace for those 11-12 miles?

Am headed down to Baltimore and DC this weekend. Hope to do one run in Rock Creek and the other on that road that heads up from Druid Hill Park to the north.

No comments: