Thursday, May 01, 2008

AM Loop

I went to Pottruck this evening, changed, stretched out, and climbed up on the treadmill, and then realized I didn't want to do a treadmill run at all. I went outside instead and found an absolutely perfect late spring evening. Ran the Art Museum Loop, back by Spring Garden; call it 4mi in something a little under 30. I ran easy for most of today, thinking about form more than speed. Did a few strides in the second half to get the heart going a bit and cooled down with 15min on the stationary bike.

I am locked into the taper routine: my diet, sleep, workouts are all on autopilot now. It feels familiar. Sunday is only 10 miles, so much of this is not needed, but I have a routine that works and I don't want to mess with it. Here's how it goes: a last longish run on Sunday, two days of what amounts to the Atkins diet, break a sweat with my run on Tuesday, switch to carbs on Wednesday, then eat, eat, eat on Thursday and Friday. No running on Friday, but continue with bagels, pasta, yogurt etc. A short run with some strides on Sunday, and a good night's sleep, then up early for yogurt, banana, and coffee, then off to the start.

I am trying to figure out if I should just run to Temple. I don't want to waste energy, but I think I need 3-4mi of warmup and unlike a longer race, I can't just use the first few miles for that... Perhaps a compromise is run to City Hall, hop on the subway, and finish warmup on the track?

No comments: