Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas, Boxing Day

Christmas: rest day, though Clare and Mollie and I did a nice walk from Bolton Hill down to see the lights at the Washington memorial at Mount Vernon. Sliced my hand open during gift opening; here's the report copied from an email to a new friend:
my sister and aunt each gave me cool tools for general and bike-specific fixing-upping. i was using the knife from the first to detach the second from its package when it slipped and the blade went into my palm. everyone, including me, was laughing at my klutziness, then pain came and i looked down and saw that the blade was in sort of deep and there was a fair amount of blood and my aunt muttered something about tetanus shots and i started to worry that it might be serious. then the room closed in and i apparently (i don't remember much past this point) got really pale and announced "i'm passing out!" and mollie, seeing me go pale got woozy too and shouted "hey i'm passing out too!" she was already lying down so didn't actually lose consciousness, but i (apparently) tried to stand up and go over to the other couch but only made it one step before i collapsed. luckily clare and my uncle jumped up when i did and caught me when i fell. i came to about 20 seconds later, lying on the floor with my feet propped up, and my uncle checking me out with his scope. he said everything was fine, but the others were still a little freaked out.

Boxing day: biked down to DC on the Bike Washington club's route. 52.8mi total (which I know, thanks to my new Christmas bike gizmo), most of it at 15-20mph; hit 37mph on one of the downhills. It's not the prettiest route--most of MD is built-up, suburban ugliness--but the bike club does a good job keeping it to quiet roads and East Coast Greenway trails. My quads are really feeling it today.

No comments: