Friday, February 17, 2006

Hutch

Foiled twice. On Thursday night, the women's club team booted Mike, Cara and I from Hutch. On Friday the gym was set up for a gymnastics meet. It is so difficult to find a court to play on here at Penn! The reason? The Palestra has a court, but well, I wouldn't expect to be able to use it. Weightman, with its beautiful pair of courts is off limits to everyone except varsity teams (and club teams when the varsity coaches are feeling generous). Pottruck has several beautiful new courts, usually at < 50% capacity, but the floor wasn't built strong enough to support volleyball net standards. Which leaves Hutch as the only viable option for non-varsity and non-club grad student "teams" like the Pigs, SWAT, and ISSVC. Unfortunately Hutch is also used for fencing and gymnastic meets, local high school cheerleading jamborees (I'm not kidding) and pretty much anyone in West Philly who wants a pickup basketball game (unlike Pottruck, security is not tight at Hutch which, I suspect, is why the nice new basketball-only courts at Pottruck are barely used but Hutch is constantly crammed with players who get pissed off when our balls fly into their court, or we kick them off the ONLY COURT ON CAMPUS). Hmm. I guess I'm a little annoyed. Oh well, soon it'll be summer and I can play at Drexel or with my grass net. Hooray. Or maybe I'll find a team in Grenoble to practice with.

Yes, I don't know if I've mentioned this: I'm going to INRIA Rhône Alpes for either 6 or 12 weeks in mid-March. Woot.

OK. Today's workout: 20 minutes of hills on the elliptical, then 3.5mi on the treadmill. 44 minutes total cardio. YTD

Anyone up for a long group run this weekend? Meet at the Art museum and do Strawberry Mansion (~5mi) or the full Falls Rd (8.4mi?) loop? It would be fun to run with a big group...

1 comment:

Peter said...

Hey nate I'll run with you as far as you want if you do it in Nashua :)