Sunday, August 07, 2005

Marktoberdorf free day

No lectures today so I had time to try a new loop. Only ran a little more than 5K before I got lost and afraid I was going in the wrong direction. I started by going down towards the pond, up the hills, around the bends with the farms as usual. Then instead of looping back I tried to follow the road back to Marktoberdorf. Discovered an amazing small village: just a few houses/farms, a church, and maybe one store. Followed a farm lane that looked like it would take me back to the city. The road kept getting smaller and smaller, then turned to dirt, then turned to dirt with a strip of grass down the middle, then turned into just a lane worn in heavy grass, then disappeared. Near the end I was at a barn, literally in the middle of a field, with about 30 cows with the same Alpen bells all ringing. As I approached, they all turned their heads and stared at me. Then started walking towards me. Then running and mooing. I just kept walking ahead... Had to dash across a wet field to get back to a road and then discovered I'd been totally turned around. Marktoberdorf was about 10K away (saw the church on the hill). Walked back along a path by the railtracks, cold and wet, and finally back to the Gymnasium (relieved that it was indeed Marktoberdorf and not some other random village.

1 comment:

Nate Foster said...

Who said I'm training for a race? There's no race on my horizon... just running for fun.